You are not logged in.

• Login
  • Register

Geoff_S

Beginner

Date of registration: Dec 5th 2017

Wednesday, December 6th 2017, 12:03am

FRDM-KL28Z with current J-Link OpenSDA firmware

I have a new FRDM-KL28Z dev board which comes with the default DAPLink bootloader and OpenSDA v2.2 firmware. I am having problems loading the current J-Link OpenSDA firmware on it. If I power the board up into bootloader mode, copy the latest J-Link firmware (from the "J-Link OpenSDA - Board-Specific Firmwares" page for the FRDM-KL28Z board) on to it, when the board restarts it is still running the original OpenSDA v2.2 firmware and a J-Link debug probe is not available. The best I have been able to do is load the generic J-Link OpenSDA v2.1 firmware (from "J-Link OpenSDA - Generic Firmwares - OpenSDA v2.1" page) which does result in a J-Link debug probe being available.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a known issue with this board and the latest J-Link firmware ?

SEGGER - Nino

Super Moderator

Date of registration: Jan 2nd 2017

Wednesday, December 6th 2017, 9:22am

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

According to our website the board is running open SDA 2.0 : https://www.segger.com/products/debug-pr…-v2/#tab-3932-4
Did you try that?
Other versions are not tested and are not guaranteed to work.

Best regards,
Nino

Geoff_S

Beginner

Wednesday, December 6th 2017, 1:01pm

No I did not try that version, since the FRDM-KL28Z runs OpenSDA v2.2 as shown on NXP's website https://www.nxp.com/support/developer-re…adapter:OPENSDA

I think perhaps your website is wrong if it is indicating it runs v2.0 ?

SEGGER - Nino

Super Moderator

Wednesday, December 6th 2017, 1:55pm

Hi,

I think i have to rephrase what i wrote.
The firmware we provide has been tested with a FRDM-KL28Z board that runs open SDA 2.0 and this configuration is working.
Any other configuration is not tested and thus currently not supported.
It might be that newer FRDM-KL28Z board revisions ship with other/newer open SDA versions.

We will see if we can get such a board and add support eventually.

Best regards,
Nino

Geoff_S

Beginner

Thursday, December 7th 2017, 12:47am

Thanks Nino, that makes sense. I don't think I can downgrade the OpenSDA bootloader to v2.0, but you should be able to upgrade v2.0 to v2.2 using the DAPLink image from mbed website (step 1 on following link)
https://os.mbed.com/blog/entry/DAPLink-bootloader-update/

SEGGER - Nino

Super Moderator

Thursday, December 7th 2017, 9:40am

Hi,

Quoted

I don't think I can downgrade the OpenSDA bootloader to v2.0, but you should be able to upgrade v2.0 to v2.2 using the DAPLink image from mbed website (step 1 on following link)

Completely understandable. We have a couple of boards here so I will give it a go with one of them.
I will inform you once I have gathered more information.

Best regards,
Nino