Date of registration: Jan 4th 2011

Tuesday, January 4th 2011, 5:23pm

[ANSWERED]Cannot disable "Intelligence" warning, plus warning is wrong

Using EWARM 6.10.1
Target Cortex-M3 STM32F103C8

Every time you download via j-tag, it pops up a dialog:

"
J-Link V4.20m Warning
You are using a J-Link which does not have intelligence for the selected CPU core (Cortex-M3)
[] Do not show this message again for today.
"

The j-link I'm using first of all is V6.0 according to the serial sticker on the back, not V4.2. So I think this warning is incorrectly being presented in the first place.

Second of all, the j-link I'm using works fine, and has worked fine for years using the previous 5.5 EWARM. Why should it now all of a sudden not be good enough?

Third and most annoying, this dialog box cannot be removed! The check box only removes the message FOR ONE DAY! It pops back up again at the start of every day. I can understand if they want you to upgrade to the latest hardware, but It should prompt you once, and then never again. The warning should be able to be permanently disabled.

I just don't understand what this new intelligence is for if the J-Link that came with my STM32 board has been working fine for years? Clearly my J-Link works fine with the Cortex-M3 core as is.

Thanks,

Ash.

masteryoda

Beginner

Date of registration: Jan 13th 2011

Thursday, January 13th 2011, 8:43pm

I get the same error message. Can someone from segger please reply to this? I am using EWARM 5.4

cfranck

Beginner

Date of registration: Dec 10th 2008

Wednesday, January 26th 2011, 9:53am

I find this advertisement popup highly annoying and unprofessional.

And yes, it's not a warning, it's pure advertising in the way it is presented. "Buy more stuff, or we'll annoy you with this popup every day until you do!"

SEGGER - Alex

Super Moderator

Date of registration: Dec 18th 2007

Friday, January 28th 2011, 5:25pm

Hello,

sorry for all inconveniences caused by this.
This warning is a general warning for users which use old J-Links with
new cores where the J-Link firmware does not have intelligence for the used core.
This forces the DLL to create all sequences on the PC side.
This means that we can not wait in all situations for the CPU to be finished with the
requested operations since this would cause a lot of USB transactions for a single
operation and would have a very bad influence on the performance.
This will work in most cases as long as the target interface speed is not significantly
higher than the CPU speed and the CPU can handle all requests fast enough.
In extreme cases (target interface speed significantly higher than CPU speed)
stability can not be guaranteed for old J-Links without intelligence for the used core.

Quoted

"
J-Link V4.20m Warning
You are using a J-Link which does not have intelligence for the selected CPU core (Cortex-M3)
[] Do not show this message again for today.
"
The j-link I'm using first of all is V6.0 according to the serial sticker on the back, not V4.2. So I think this warning is incorrectly being presented in the first place.

For clarification: The title of the message box refers to the software version of the DLL which is currently used.
The sticker on the back of the J-Link refers to the hardware version of the J-Link. The hardware version of a J-Link
can not be changed by a firmware update or by using a later version of the DLL.

Later versions of the DLL give the user the chance to permanently disable this warning
(There is a "Do not show this again" checkbox in the message box).
But we do not recommend to do this.
We got some reports from customers which were working with older J-Links under
such extreme conditions with new cores (Cortex-M, Cortex-A/R) and were running into problems.

Best regards
Alex