You are not logged in.

• Login
  • Register

cknight

Beginner

Date of registration: Jan 6th 2011

Thursday, January 6th 2011, 1:40am

[SOLVED]Can't change usb address of JLINK ARM V8

I have tried to change the usb address of a JLINK ARM V8 with firmware from Dec 16 2010 20:21:29 and jlink software version 4.22a. I have another JLINK ARM-KS V5.2 and have no problem changing the usb address of that unit but can't change the usb address of the V8 JLINK.

I have read the manual and use the command "usbaddr = 1" in the jlink.exe software, unplug the device and plug it back in but the address doesn't change.

The date code on the JLINK is 10-46

Thanks

SEGGER - Alex

Super Moderator

Date of registration: Dec 18th 2007

Friday, January 7th 2011, 8:39am

Hello,

I just verified that changing the USB adress on an J-Link works fine with the current release (V4.22a).
At the time of the USB address change: Is the J-Link the only one which is connected to your PC?
Which operating system do you use?

Best regards
Alex

cknight

Beginner

Friday, January 7th 2011, 10:03pm

Can't change usb address of JLINK ARM V8

At the time of trying to change the usb address on the jlink it was the only jlink/jtrace on the system. I have another jlink (v5.2 kickstart from IAR) and a jtrace (v1.0 IAR) and both of these I can change the address on without any problem but the jlink(v8 IAR) I haven't been able to change the address on. So out of 3 units I can't change the address on only one of them. This is something that I can work around for now but in the future it could cause me problems so I would like to get this fixed if possible.

I am using Windows XP SP3 with jlink.exe version 4.22a.

This only seems to be the version 8 jlink from IAR that I can't change the address on. When I first plugged it in jlink.exe wanted to update the firmware in the unit and I allowed it to do so.

SEGGER - Alex

Super Moderator

Date of registration: Dec 18th 2007

Thursday, January 20th 2011, 10:18am

Hello cknight,

We have found the problem when trying to change the USB address via J-Link commander.
It will be fixed in the next beta version (V4.23a).

But in general, we recommend to use the J-Link configurator (see attached screenshot) to change the J-Link enumeration type.
The configurator comes with the J-Link software and documentation package.
A detailed description how to use the J-Link configurator, can be found in UM08001, chapter "Setup", section "J-Link configurator".

The bug in the J-Link commander regarding the "usbaddr" command does not effect the functionality of the J-Link configurator.
So, until the new version is going to be released, you can already use the J-Link configurator to configure your J-Links for USB address 0 - 3

Best regards
Alex
SEGGER - Alex has attached the following image:
  • JLinkConfigurator.gif

cknight

Beginner

Friday, February 4th 2011, 7:38pm

Can't change usb address of JLINK ARM V8

Actually the fix showed up in version 4.22c of the JLink software. It is now working and I will try using the J-Link Configurator as well.