Tuesday, June 27th 2017, 2:12am UTC+2

You are not logged in.

• Login
  • Register

Dear visitor, welcome to SEGGER Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Date of registration: May 22nd 2012

Tuesday, May 22nd 2012, 10:59pm

Problem debugging with J-Link ARM / GDB Server (Don't know how to run. Try "help target")

Toolchain: Windows 7. Eclipse Indigo SR1. Segger J-Link GDB Server V4.46f. Atmel SAM-ICE. Atmel AT91SAM7SE512.

From Eclipse I can:
- Build my project (using make / GCC)
- Start the GDB server, which successfully connects.

But when I try and run the debugger it seems to get to get to the main and then come up with the following message:
Don't know how to run. Try "help target".

However, if I launch J-Link ARM V4.46f (JLink.exe) from the command line I can perform basic 'go, halt, TestHaltGo' type commands successfully from there.

So I must have something setup incorrectly in my debug configuration?

Attached: GDB Console and GDB Server log.

Thanks.
martin nichols has attached the following files:
  • GDB Server log.txt (6.01 kB - 453 times downloaded - Last download: Jun 21st 2017, 1:09pm)
  • GDB Console.txt (1.51 kB - 434 times downloaded - Last download: Jun 25th 2017, 8:50pm)

Date of registration: May 22nd 2012

Friday, May 25th 2012, 12:54am

Update: I've now got the debugger working with a hello world app - yay! In the end I removed my whole toolchain and started again from scratch, and followed the http://www.yagarto.de/ installation to the letter.

I had previously followed the yargato guide only loosley, as I already had some of the tools already in place. The only significance thing I could spot that was using the gdb command 'arm-none-eabi-gdb' as directed instead of 'arm-elf-gdb' as I had set originally, don't know if this would have caused the problem?

Next step is to bring my makefile/project in and get that running.

SEGGER - Alex

Super Moderator

Date of registration: Dec 18th 2007

Friday, May 25th 2012, 8:52am

Hi Martin,

Good to hear that you got it up and running.

Quoted

instead of 'arm-elf-gdb' as I had set originally,

This has been changed some YAGARTO versions ago.
I am not an expert regarding when and why this has been changed but in the current YAGARTO version it is definitely arm-none-eabi-gdb and arm-elf-gdb will no longer work.

Best regards
Alex