Saturday, February 24th 2018, 4:52am UTC+1

You are not logged in.

• Login
  • Register

Dear visitor, welcome to SEGGER Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

VVB

Beginner

Date of registration: Aug 15th 2013

Thursday, August 29th 2013, 9:23am

JMem is halted CPU for access

Hello.
I use driver version 4.76a for Windows, J-Link ULTRA+ and RM48L952 chip.

According to chapter 3.5 of UM08001_JLinkARM.pdf JMem can do access for read and write of target memory without halting CPU, but it is not so.
My "flashing LED" program is halting when JMem is running.
What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
Vitaliy.

SEGGER - Alex

Super Moderator

Date of registration: Dec 18th 2007

Friday, August 30th 2013, 2:25pm

Hi Vitaliy,

You are doing nothing wrong.
As I already explained in your other thread, this feature is not available for Cortex-A/R.
Is support for Code Composer Studio available here?

It may be in the future, but this requires major changes in the DLL because you need to define a memory map for such cases which defines what regions are cachable and which are not.
For cacheable regions, memory can not be read/written during execution.
There is no specific timeframe yet if or when this feature will be available.

Best regards
Alex

VVB

Beginner

Date of registration: Aug 15th 2013

Saturday, August 31st 2013, 5:27pm

Thank you for answer.
As I suppose, you don't want to determine cache size (or cache present) from device name or JTAG ID and turn on or off some features. Isn't it?

And what about Cortex-M4 core with data cache (Freescale Vybrid)?

Regards, Vitaliy.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "VVB" (Sep 2nd 2013, 5:47am)

SEGGER - Alex

Super Moderator

Friday, September 6th 2013, 11:23am

Hi Vitaly,

Quoted

As I suppose, you don't want to determine cache size (or cache present) from device name or JTAG ID and turn on or off some features. Isn't it?

Forget about the JTAG ID, this does not give any useful information about device specifics...
Making it device name dependent is on the ToDo list but I can not give you a schedule right now.

Quoted

And what about Cortex-M4 core with data cache (Freescale Vybrid)?

For the Vybrid, there might be (not verified so far) similar problems of memory inconsistencies.
It is a generic weakness in the concept from ARM provided to access memory while the CPU is running.

Best regards
Alex

Date of registration: Feb 13th 2014

Wednesday, February 19th 2014, 7:49pm

What About for Atmel AT91SAM9XE512 (ARM926EJ-S)?

I was trying to do the same thing, run J-Mem as a separate Windows application while the IAR debugger is running code on the target through the J-Link, or while the code is running on the target and the J-Link is connected. Running J-Mem causes the IAR debugger to do a "break" it appears, and it causes the stand-alone processor to halt. Is it possible for J-Mem to work in either of these cases, while leaving the processor running normally?

SEGGER - Alex

Super Moderator

Thursday, February 20th 2014, 8:39am

Hi,

On ARM 7/9 targets (where the AT91SAM9XE is an ARM9) memory can not be read/written while the CPU is running.
Halting the CPU is mandatory there.
There is some workaround by using DCC and having a special handler downloaded into the target which periodically checks the DCC registers if something is to do.
These two DCC registers (one for read and one for write) can be accessed while the CPU is running and so allow theoretically accessing memory while the CPU is running.
Of course it is not really real-time since your application is somewhat "blocked" while the DCC handler handles the memory request.

This functionality is already built-in IAR EWARM via the "Live Watch" Window which allows monitoring variables during run-time.

Best regards
Alex