Thursday, August 17th 2017, 3:36pm UTC+2

You are not logged in.

• Login
  • Register

Dear visitor, welcome to SEGGER Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Date of registration: Jan 21st 2015

Friday, January 23rd 2015, 6:18pm

Pop Up Menu Question

Hello,

I am developing an application which makes use of several pop up menus that are built on-the-fly. The menus are created using:

MENU_Handle hMenu = MENU_CreateEx(0, 0, 0, 0, WM_UNATTACHED, 0, MENU_CF_VERTICAL, 0);

and populated:

static void prvAddEntry(MENU_Handle hMenu, const char *label, U16 id, U16 flags) {
MENU_ITEM_DATA entry;

entry.pText = label;
entry.Id = id;
entry.Flags = flags;
entry.hSubmenu = 0;

MENU_AddItem(hMenu, &entry);
}

If I need to display the menu, then calling:

MENU_Popup(hMenu, hDialog, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
WM_SetFocus(hMenu);

shows the menu and gives it keyboard focus. The problem I am having occurs when I come to delete the menu. The manual states that the menu will not be automatically deleted, but when I call WM_DeleteWindow(hMenu) I get a bus fault exception with a PC in GUI_ALLOC_h2p and link register in WM__GetTopLevelLayer.

What is the correct way to delete a pop up menu widget and free the resources that have been allocated?

Regards,

Craig

SEGGER - Adrian

Super Moderator

Date of registration: May 26th 2009

Monday, January 26th 2015, 10:05am

Hello,

Unfortunately I do not know exactly how you are going to use the MENU widget. I changed the WIDGET_PopupMenu.c sample to delete the widget every time the background was clicked. This works well. Please refer to the function _OpenPopup() in the attached application.

Best regards,
Adrian
SEGGER - Adrian has attached the following file:

Monday, January 26th 2015, 11:05am

Hello Adrian,

I have adapted your exemplar code to test in my application:

typedef struct {
char * sText;
U16 Id;
U16 Flags;
} MENU_ITEM;

static MENU_ITEM _aMenuItems[] = {
{"New game", 1, 0},
{"Pass", 2, 0},
{0, 0, MENU_IF_SEPARATOR},
{"Exit", 3, 0},
};

static void _AddMenuItem(MENU_Handle hMenu, MENU_Handle hSubmenu, const char* pText, U16 Id, U16 Flags) {
MENU_ITEM_DATA Item;

Item.pText = pText;
Item.hSubmenu = hSubmenu;
Item.Flags = Flags;
Item.Id = Id;
MENU_AddItem(hMenu, &Item);
}

static void _testCode(void) {
MENU_Handle hMenu;
int i;

hMenu = MENU_CreateEx(0, 0, 0, 0, WM_UNATTACHED, 0, MENU_CF_VERTICAL, 0);
for (i = 0; i < GUI_COUNTOF(_aMenuItems); i++) {
_AddMenuItem(hMenu, 0, _aMenuItems.sText, _aMenuItems[i].Id, _aMenuItems[i].Flags);
}

WM_DeleteWindow(hMenu);
}

As you see in _testCode(), I simply create the menu and delete the window that is returned. When stepping through the function, hMenu is a positive integer (in the last test it was 53) and the code aborts on the WM_DeleteWindow() call. My exception handler returns the following output:

*** Bus Fault Exception ***
R0: 0x01cc0458, R1: 0xc1801f38, R2: 0xc1801f38, R3: 0x20029cb0
SP: 0x2000d618, LR: 0x0806f4f1, PC: 0x0807b342, PSR: 0x41000000
Bus Fault Cause:
Data Bus Error at LR
Address: 0x01cc045c

where the Link Register (LR) is given the symbol WM__GetTopLevelLayer by addr2line and the Program Counter (PC) is GUI_ALLOC_h2p. The address that is returned in the Bus Fault Address Register (0x01cc045c) is not in the addressable space.

My main application is a state machine in which each state creates its own dynamic dialog window. When states are transitioned, the dialog window is destroyed by calling WM_DeleteWindow() and the new dialog is created. I have created a dozen or so states and their associated dialog boxes and everything works except cleaning up the pop-up menu.

Any help you can offer in resolving this issue will be gratefully received.

Regards,

Craig

SEGGER - Adrian

Super Moderator

Tuesday, January 27th 2015, 9:40am

Hello Craig,

As far as I can see the function WM__GetTopLevelLayer() is called only in case the application uses more than one layer. Could you please verify if there is memory used for a layer which is not or not completely addressable?

Best regards,
Adrian

Wednesday, January 28th 2015, 10:01am

Hello Adrian,

I do use two layers. Both are allocated memory and I can switch between them.

Regards,

Craig

Wednesday, February 4th 2015, 11:15am

Hello Adrian,

Have you any thoughts on this problem? I am still struggling to see how to free the resources allocated to a pop-up menu. I have isolated the issue to just two lines of code. Simply creating the menu and deleting it straight away causes the bus fault when WM_DeleteWindow is called:

MENU_Handle hMenu = MENU_CreateEx(0, 0, 0, 0, WM_UNATTACHED, 0, MENU_CF_VERTICAL, 0);
WM_DeleteWindow(hMenu);

However, if the menu is attached to a window:

MENU_Handle hMenu = MENU_CreateEx(0, 0, 0, 0, WM_HBKWIN, 0, MENU_CF_VERTICAL, 0);
WM_DeleteWindow(hMenu);

then no bus fault occurs.

What is the correct way to create a pop-up menu that may or may not be displayed before deletion?

Regards,

Craig

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "craig.stracey" (Feb 4th 2015, 11:24am)

SEGGER - Adrian

Super Moderator

Wednesday, February 4th 2015, 2:01pm

Hello Craig,

Have you checked the linker file? Maybe there is a memory region too small (stack size?). I assume this problem is not caused by emWin.

Best regards,
Adrian

Thursday, February 5th 2015, 10:28am

Hello Adrian,

I have checked (and double checked) the linker, etc. I have been very generous with stack sizes, memory pools and frame buffers. In total emWin has been allocated over 12MB of RAM. I have confirmed that task stacks and the emWin memory pool have not over run.

Do you have any idea why I see the issue if the menu is created with a parent window of WM_UNATTACHED, but not if the parent window is WM_HBKWIN?

Regards,

Craig

Thursday, February 5th 2015, 2:19pm

Hello Adrian,

Some further investigation shows that it is a problem with deleting menus that are currently not displayed. If I have a menu with four submenus (the submenus have item Ids of 100..103) then the following function call will delete the menu without faulting:

void menuDestroy(MENU_Handle hMenu) {
uint8_t i;

MENU_Popup(hMenu, WM_HBKWIN, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

for(i = 100; i < 104; i++) {
MENU_ITEM_DATA item;

MENU_GetItem(hMenu, i, &item);

MENU_Popup(item.hSubmenu, WM_HBKWIN, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
}

WM_DeleteWindow(hMenu);
}

If I do not call MENU_Popup() then a bus fault occurs. Can this be fixed?

Regards,

Craig

SEGGER - Adrian

Super Moderator

Monday, February 9th 2015, 2:54pm

Hello Craig,

Thank you for providing the information. I will step into this and try to find out if this problem is caused by the MENU widget. Unfortunately I can not tell you when I will be able to have a look at this, so this might take a while.

Best regards,
Adrian

mc_meyer

Beginner

Date of registration: Nov 27th 2015

Thursday, December 17th 2015, 4:32pm

Hello,

I had nearly the same problem.

I’m using a Desktop like GUI creating and destroying FRAMEWIN-Widgets.

Everything works fine, until I included a Menu widget in one Frame Window.

On closing the FameWin the whole application stalls (Hardfault) anywhere In GUI_ALLOC_h2p()

I strip everything down to just creating the menu and deleting it with the same result as craig.stracey

After a long time of debugging I found this thread and his workaround with opening all sub menus before deleting works for me.

Thanks to craig.stracey :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I’m using the Pre compiled library for STM32F7 Microcontroller with OS support (STemWin528_CM7_OS_Keil_ot.lib).
Target hardware is the STM32F7-Discovery-Board.

Are there any Updates on this issue from your side?

Regards
Christian

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mc_meyer" (Dec 17th 2015, 4:33pm)

mc_meyer

Beginner

Date of registration: Nov 27th 2015

Friday, December 18th 2015, 9:11am

I figured out, that the easiest way to implement that workaround is to setup a callback for all menu widgets that only catches the WM_DELETE Message. Then calling MENU_POPUP(pMsg->hWin,WM_HBKWIN,0,0,0,0,0);
(Did i miss the Function MENUE_SetDefaultCalback() !? or why doesnt it exist?);

C/C++ Source code

void cbMenue(WM_MESSAGE * pMsg)
{

switch(pMsg->MsgId)
	{
		case WM_DELETE:

MENU_Popup(pMsg->hWin,WM_HBKWIN,0,0,0,0,0);
			break;

default:
			MENU_Callback(pMsg);
			break;
	}
}

Now I can use the Menu as supposed.
but I think someone should have a look in the sorce code to investigate that behaviour.

Regards
Christian

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mc_meyer" (Dec 18th 2015, 9:17am)