Thursday, October 19th 2017, 4:44pm UTC+2

You are not logged in.

• Login
  • Register

Dear visitor, welcome to SEGGER Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

roberthq

Beginner

Date of registration: Sep 25th 2009

Monday, September 28th 2009, 1:40pm

J-Flash ARM with AT45DB642D

Hi,

I am currently working with a custom board built around the AT91SAM9263 microcontroller. The board make use of external Dataflash for permanent storage of the application (later transferred to an external SDRAM for execution). The Dataflash memory is of type AT45DB642D and is connected to the MCU by the SPI0 bus. To be able to access the MCU (and in turn the memory) I am using an SAM-ICE JTAG emulator with the latest J-Flash software (v4.08l). To flash the Dataflash I am using J-Flash ARM, but without success: at connection it says "Could not find any flash devices". I am using the option "Automatically detect flash memory" since the AT45D/DB is not among the list of supported flash devices. Can't I flash simply because the memory I am using isn't supported? If so, is it possible to add support for it?

Best regards,
Robert

SEGGER - Alex

Super Moderator

Date of registration: Dec 18th 2007

Monday, September 28th 2009, 2:35pm

Hello roberthg,

currently J-Flash supports internal flash + external NOR flash only.
We are currently adding support for custom RAMCodes.
This will allow to program any kind of flash (internal, NOR, NAND, DataFlash, SPI flash) with J-Flash / Flasher ARM.
Custom RAMCode means that a RAMCode for a custom hardware is loaded in J-Flash (This RAMCode is written by SEGGER or by the user)
which contains the logic for programming the target flash.
Support for custom RAMCodes in J-Flash / Flasher ARM is scheduled for middle of this week.

Best regards
Alex

fulcrum

Beginner

Date of registration: Jul 12th 2010

Monday, July 12th 2010, 9:44pm

RE: J-Flash ARM with AT45DB642D

Hi,

I was curious to know if support for flashing the AT45DB642D was ever added to J-Flash or if the ability to add custom RAMCodes was added. We are working with a custom board that uses the AT45DB642D DataFlash and the K9F2G08U0M NANDFlash and we cannot find confirmation that either of these are natively supported by J-Flash.

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Regards,

Philip

SEGGER - Alex

Super Moderator

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 9:24am

Hi Philip.

native support for NAND and DataFlashes can not be added to J-Flash,
since the connection between the Flash and the MCU varies from CPU to CPU.
Moreover even when using the same CPU, the connection can vary from target to target design.

For example if you are using an DataFlash and a AT91SAM9G20 CPU,
you can connect it to different chip selects on different target designs,
so the SPI has to be configured in different ways.

So for NAND flash/DataFlash/serial-NOR flash always a custom RAMCode is needed.

Best regards
Alex

fulcrum

Beginner

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 11:09am

RE: J-Flash ARM with AT45DB642D

Alex,

Thank you for your reply. Does that mean that custom RAMCodes are supported in J-Flash?

Thanks,

Philip

SEGGER - Alex

Super Moderator

Thursday, July 15th 2010, 9:23am

Hi Philip,

support for custom RAMCodes is implemented in J-Flash.
If you wnat us to write a custom RAMCode for your
target CPU + flash, please get in touch with info@segger.com.

It is still under discussion if there will be a RAMCode SDK
which enables customers to write custom RAMCodes on their own.

Best regards
Alex

fulcrum

Beginner

Friday, July 16th 2010, 7:14am

Alex,

Thanks again for your response. In continuing to try and find a way to quickly resolve our dilemma, I have a couple more questions:

With those 2 flash chips that we have, is there any way to flash images into NAND and Dataflash without custom RAMCodes?

If SEGGER does create the RAMCodes for us, what is the minimum required JTAG tools and hardware needed by us to let us program binaries into those NAND and Dataflash using these RAMCodes?

Thanks,

Philip

SEGGER - Alex

Super Moderator

Friday, July 16th 2010, 8:43am

Hi Philip,

>> If SEGGER does create the RAMCodes for us, what is the minimum required JTAG tools and hardware needed
>> by us to let us program binaries into those NAND and Dataflash using these RAMCodes?
If want to use J-Flash for programming: J-Link + J-Flash lincense
If you want to use Flasher ARM: Flasher ARM + J-Flash (only needed once, to setup Flasher for programming, Flasher ARM comes with a license for J-Flash)
We can also create a DFPU: http://www.segger.com/cms/jlink-dfpus.html In this case you need a J-Link only

Best regards
Alex