Friday, December 15th 2017, 7:20am UTC+1

You are not logged in.

• Login
  • Register

Dear visitor, welcome to SEGGER Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

adrayic

Beginner

Date of registration: Sep 13th 2017

Friday, September 15th 2017, 7:30pm

[SOLVED] Multi target debugging via JTAG daisy chaining

I have a product that contains 2x STM32L476xx chips connected via JTAG daisy chain. I have purchased a J-Link Base programmer but am unsure of the proper way to download to and debug both chips at the same time using a single J-Link Base probe.

I am using Eclipse 4.7.0 on OS X w/ the appropriate plugins. I have a working project and am able to download and debug on one of the processors in the chain via a Segger J-Link GDB server debug configuration but I don't see any options to specify different applications and different targets. Can this be done?

I have also played around with Ozone but have not been able to figure out how to get both chips programmed / debugged (again using a single J-Link base probe). I believe this may be possible via the scripting interface but am not sure where to start. Is there a tutorial on this?

If neither of these tools work, what is the preferred method to do this?

SEGGER - Niklas

Super Moderator

Date of registration: Oct 6th 2014

Monday, September 18th 2017, 10:07am

Hi,

It is possible to debug 2 cores in a JTAG-chain at the same time using only one J-Link.

1. Create a setup (e.g. a Ozone project) which connects to the 1st core and test if programming and debugging (stepping, breakpoints etc) work
2. Create another Ozone project for the 2nd core
3. Open two instances of Ozone (= two independent Ozone windows should be open now)
4. Open the 1st project in the first instance in the first instance of Ozone and
the 2nd project in the second instance of Ozone.
5. Start debugging in both instances of Ozone

Best regards,
Niklas
Would you like to be added to the J-Link software update notification list, so you get informed automatically when a new version becomes available?
Just write me a PM or in case you want to subscribe to it yourself, please use this link: Link
Notification for J-Link, J-Link Debugger, SystemView & J-Scope: Link
Notification for Embedded Studio: Link

adrayic

Beginner

Date of registration: Sep 13th 2017

Tuesday, September 19th 2017, 5:49pm

Thank you for the help, I was able to get this working following your instructions (using Ozone).

Do you know if I can do something similar within Eclipse?

SEGGER - Niklas

Super Moderator

Date of registration: Oct 6th 2014

Tuesday, September 19th 2017, 6:06pm

Hi,

It should work when using one instance of Eclipse per core, if there are no issues on Eclipse side in regards to using two instances at the same time.

Best regards,
Niklas
Would you like to be added to the J-Link software update notification list, so you get informed automatically when a new version becomes available?
Just write me a PM or in case you want to subscribe to it yourself, please use this link: Link
Notification for J-Link, J-Link Debugger, SystemView & J-Scope: Link
Notification for Embedded Studio: Link