Sunday, February 18th 2018, 9:57am UTC+1

You are not logged in.

• Login
  • Register

Dear visitor, welcome to SEGGER Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HenryIt

Beginner

Date of registration: Jan 17th 2018

Wednesday, January 17th 2018, 2:14pm

[SOLVED] Programming External Serial Flash W25Q40BL

Hello,

in my project I have an external flash SPI Serial Flash from Winbond (W25Q40BL) which is connected to the SPI peripheral of a STM32L0 microprocessor from ST and I have access only to the microprocessor. I would like to know if it is possible to program it through J-Flash utility and how.

Thank you and best regard,
Henry

SEGGER - Nino

Super Moderator

Date of registration: Jan 2nd 2017

Wednesday, January 17th 2018, 3:53pm

Hello Henry,

Thank you for your inquiry.
Generally this should be implementable using our open flashloader interface. Regarding the STM32L0 it highly depends which device it is exactly as not all of them have a QSPI interface.
So which STM32L0 are you looking to use?

Best regards,
Nino

HenryIt

Beginner

Wednesday, January 17th 2018, 4:14pm

Hi Nino,

thank you for your fast answer.

I am using a STM32L051K8 which is connected through its SPI (not QSPI, and the chip select mapped as GPIO).

Is it still possible to program the external flash with your open flashloader interface, if we have not the QSPI interface?

Thank you,
Henry

SEGGER - Nino

Super Moderator

Thursday, January 18th 2018, 9:23am

Hello Henry,

yes a SPI interface is also usable but of course less "flexible".
When adding flash support you generally have the following two options.

1. You send us the target hardware and documentation and we implement the flashloader. In this case NREs will apply.
2. You use our open flashloader interface and implement it yourself: https://wiki.segger.com/Adding_Support_for_New_Devices
Especially if you are at a time critical project stage we recommend option two.

Which one would be of interest to you?

Best regards,
Nino

HenryIt

Beginner

Thursday, January 18th 2018, 6:32pm

Hi Nino,

thank you for your fast reply.

We will have a decision on that and contact you.

Henry

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "HenryIt" (Jan 18th 2018, 6:33pm)

SEGGER - Nino

Super Moderator

Friday, January 19th 2018, 9:17am

This thread will now be locked and the discussion will be continued per e-mail and pm.

Best regards,
Nino